Are drivers with a foreign licence allowed to hire a car?

Article updated on 15/11/2021

For cars registered in the UK

To hire and drive a Getaround vehicle in the UK with a foreign licence, the driver must first meet all our rental conditions. Depending on the country that issued the licence, you will also have to check and take photos of any additional documents at check-in, as well as the driver’s driving licence.

The licence must be issued by a country in the European Economic Area (EU list of countries + Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway) and must be valid without any additional documents.

If the driver has a licence from a country outside the European Economic Area, they unfortunately won't be able to rent on Getaround.

This article contains information specific to a particular country of registration. Refer to the international version of this article for other cases.

Did you find this article useful?